AMH is an independent media house free from political ties or outside influence. We have four newspapers: The Zimbabwe Independent, a business weekly published every Friday, The Standard, a weekly published every Sunday, and Southern and NewsDay, our daily newspapers. Each has an online edition.

  • Marketing
  • Digital Marketing Manager: tmutambara@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Tel: (04) 771722/3
  • Online Advertising
  • Digital@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Web Development
  • jmanyenyere@alphamedia.co.zw

Chicken Inn move to second, Bosso draw

File pic

Chicken Inn FC………… (0) 1

Whawha FC……………..(0) 0

Cranborne Bullets …..(1) 1

Highlanders ……………..(1) 1

CHICKEN INN striker Brian Muza scored his 11th goal of the season as the GameCocks beat visiting Whawha in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Luveve Stadium yesterday.

The hosts had toiled for the greater part of the day and eventually found the opener in the 76th minute through Muza, who headed home a Neilson Ketala cross from close range.

The Gamecocks coach Joey Antipas felt they could have scored more goals had his charges been more clinical in front of goal.

"It was a frustrating afternoon. The way we dominated the game we should have closed it sooner by scoring more goals.

"We had a lot of attempts in the first 10 minutes,” Antipas said.

"I wouldn't say they were chances, but half chances and we did not  maximise on those.

"The more the game went on, the more frustrating it was for us. But we are happy we have collected six points in two matches," said Antipas.

Whawha coach Luke Petros was disappointed with the result that reduces their chances of survival this season.

"It’s now becoming a tall order for us to survive relegation, if you look at the number of games remaining. We will keep fighting but it's becoming increasingly difficult for us to survive relegation," said Petros.

In Rusape, Highlanders saw their three match winning streak come to an end after being held to a draw against a stubborn Cranborne Bullets at Vengere Stadium yesterday.

After picking up successive league wins against Caps United, Yadah and Triangle. Bosso were eager to assert their dominance and wasted no time in settling in the match as they broke the deadlock in the ninth minute through Ray Lunga.

The diminutive linkman found the back of the net with a powerful shot after finding himself unmarked inside the penalty box.

Bosso’s lead, however, lasted less than 10 minutes as Cranborne were awarded a penalty in the 17th minute after Mbongeni Ndlovu handled the ball inside the box.

Tadiwa Chibunyu stepped up to take the penalty and he scored for Cranborne Bullets to level the scores.

Bosso had the better chances in the second half as they sought the elusive winner with Stanley Ngala wasting their best chance in the 58th minute but Cranborne Bullets held on for a crucial point.

Highlanders remain in fourth position on 45 points from 28 matches while Cranborne Bullets are 11th on 35 points and now seemingly safe from relegation.

Related Topics